Owning a car in Dubai comes with all the care and repair as anywhere else, except here over half the population is looking for the same service. In stats reported by the Roads and Transport Authority, its vehicle density of 540 per 1,000 people puts Dubai on the top of the charts both regionally and globally. If there is a car for one out of every two people, there is also a thriving market to cultivate and sustain. For those driving in this metropolis, it can come in handy to know what specific repair services are offered, as quantity shouldn’t negotiate quality when it comes to caring for your vehicle.
Most of us tend to think in a bilinear scale when it comes to auto repair, choosing between dealerships or independent specialists. Both offer unique advantages and disadvantages, especially in Dubai, where foreign brands abound and accidents are as frequent as 8.5 a day according to the DSC. Compounded with the infiltration and trade of counterfeit car parts in the UAE, and the search for quality car repair behooves the effort.
Dealerships, Going to the Source
While more exotic brands require manufacturer specific parts, the specialized training, technology and experience of agency service is available to all.
What to expect
- The offer of manufacturer-backed warranties, factory sourced materials, and a staff of routinely trained mechanics give agencies credibility that is often accompanied by higher prices.
- To maintain consistent high quality products, manufacturers may encounter factory stock issues that delay repair time and increase overhead.
- Agencies rely on manufacturer supported warranties rather than customer service for return business, and it may show.
Specialists, Value with Personality
Generally smaller, with a personalized touch that comes from dealing directly with your mechanic, independents offer non-manufacturer regulated and often significantly less pricey options. More importantly, the Emirates Standardisation and Metrology Authority (ESMA) is currently working to create a system to effectively rate any independent workshop which should significantly aid in the search for quality car repair in Dubai.
What to expect
- Options regarding part acquisition, from factory produced originals to cheaper alternate or rebuilt versions.
- These garages may service a composite of car brands, allowing for workaround solutions that wouldn’t be available in an agency.
- Customer satisfaction is very important for return business, and the mechanic will be dealing with you directly.
While cheaper, faster service may instantly appeal to any driver, protecting you and your car is imperative. Look for the greatest transparency in any transaction you make outside the agency, and avoid any garage that doesn’t adhere to new consumer protection regulations. Know the origin of any replacement parts, remembering anything labelled genuine should not be available at discount, and is probably counterfeit and dangerous.
This region is an enviable hub of commerce, business and distribution, with high demand for quality service. Local government and businesses are working hard to regulate car repair in Dubai, but you can start your search here.